Wednesday, October 6, 2010

ranting about renting.

I hate renting. I wish I loved it... because Ryan and I aren't close to having kids, and we want to move around a lot until we find a place we love. We want to find a place we can't imagine not living in. We haven't found it yet, and it certainly isn't Athens. But, this isn't a post about that... it's a post about renting, and how much I hate it - so let's get back to that.

My garbage disposal quit working on Sunday morning. I got online immediately and sent an email to my Realtor. On Tuesday afternoon, I got a phone call from a different Realtor letting me know that she found someone "willing" to work on the garbage disposal and they would be coming sometime after lunch on Wednesday, but she didn't know what time. She also mentioned that she'd be coming too, so she could take pictures of the kitchen and the bathrooms for the insurance company.

Really? Aren't Realtors supposed to have paid handymen, period? Not one who picks and chooses what he wants to work on and when? If the garbage disposal in your house was backed up and stinking up the kitchen, you'd want someone to come work on it ASAP buddy, which also leads me to complain that I didn't get a response until Tuesday, and they're not coming until today. And, they can't give me a time?! That's 3 days of a progressively stinkier kitchen. I also find it rather odd that they need pictures of the house 2 months after I've moved in for insurance reasons. Shouldn't that have been handled before we signed a lease?

Either way... I'm just ready for them to get here and get gone so I can put my pajamas back on!

3 comments:

Bree said...

I've never really had problems with renting (although I do wish my money was paying down my own condo and not going to someone else). But the big thing was the second time my fridge broke down, I was without one for 3 freakin days!! It was a nightmare, a starving/eating out nightmare.

Randa said...

Renting in Athens sucks. Period. I have yet to find a land lord that wasn't sloppy here. For instance, my AC unit is currently leaking. But not just drops here and there - it's leaking to the point where we have to change out a medium sized bucket every couple of hours.

We called the land lords. There suggestion? "Bucket seems to be working. What's the problem?"

Ughhhh. I think renters are better outside of this place, though, so maybe there's hope!

j said...

I've always had problems with renting. The only place that wasn't SO bad was an actual apartment complex. And girl, I have horror stories about leaking - my ceiling fell through, and then days later the wall between our apartment and our neighbors fell down. Our landlord lived in California, so you can only imagine how well that went!

It's a shame when your happiness is in someone else's hands... they don't have to live with a constant drip and you can't MAKE them fix it, so it's water off their back - no pun intended. Sucks.